Thursday 4 October 2012

Series Spotlight: The Mortal Instruments #4

8715343

Title: City of Fallen Angels

Author: Cassandra Clare

Publisher: UK - Walker Books | US - McElderry Books

Publication date: UK - 01 Sep 2011| US - April 5th 2011

Format: Paperback - 448 pages

Genre: YA - Urban Fantasy

 

Clary is back in New York and life is good: she's training to be a Shadowhunter and is finally able to call Jace her boyfriend. But nothing comes without a price. When Jace inexplicably begins to pull away from her, Clary is forced to acknowledge that she herself has set in motion a chain of events that could lead to the loss of everything she loves. Even Jace.


Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge.

The stakes are higher than ever...



My thoughts:


What could I possibly say that will even begin to explain how good these books are? Every time I finish a book by Cassandra Clare nowadays I just sit there afterwards thinking about it for like an hour. That's how I know I enjoyed it - they make me resent having to start another book because I want to stay engrossed in the world of Shadowhunters for just a moment longer. 


City of Fallen Angels was a little bit different to the first three books in a couple of ways. There was a lot more of Simon and a little bit less of Clary. It was just enough of a switch though because it wasn't too much or too little of either of them which I really enjoyed because both are great characters. Another difference I noticed was that the book was separated into two parts in my opinion. The first half of the book seemed to be focused mostly on the characters and how they had changed and what problems they were facing with just everyday life. It was more about Clary and Jace's relationship, Simon's love life and maybe a little of Clary's mother Jocelyn and her relationship with Luke. 


The second half, however, was just action packed moment after moment which was way more intense than anything in the first three books. I thought there was a tremendous amount of build up from the start of the book but I had no idea what it was leading to. It made it so much better in my opinion and it also stood out from the rest of the series which is always great. 


The plot was great. It did seem like an in-between kind of book but it still had a lot of substance on its own. I honestly can't wait to find out what happens - it ends on such a huge cliffhanger that it's driving me crazy not knowing.


All in all the book was fantastic and I really, really love Cassandra Clare.


My rating: 10/10



 

Cassandra Clare:

 

Goodreads | Website | Facebook | Twitter

 

 

 

Books in the series:

 

  1. City of Bones
  2. City of Ashes
  3. City of Glass
  4. City of Fallen Angels
  5. City of Lost Souls
  6. City of Heavenly Fire 
 
 
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

1 comment:

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Oh. I was quite happy with the way the trilogy ended .. I was all set to just ignore these next three books in the series, but I just can't. I'm glad you really enjoyed this one, I've been reading mixed things. Will get to it sooner rather than later, I'm sure..