Sunday 21 October 2012

Review: Starling

9248345

Title: Starling

Author: Lesley Livingston

Publisher: HarperTeen

Publication date: 8/28/2012

Format: Hardcover - 352 pages

Genre: YA - Paranormal

Starling (Starling, #1)

 

 

Mason Starling is a champion fencer on the Gosforth Academy team, but she's never had to fight for her life. Not until the night a ferocious, otherworldly storm rips through Manhattan, trapping Mason and her teammates inside the school. Mason is besieged by nightmarish creatures more terrifying than the thunder and lightning as the raging tempest also brings a dangerous stranger into her life: a young man who remembers nothing but his name - the Fennrys Wolf. His arrival tears Mason's world apart, even as she feels an undeniable connection to him. Together, they seek to unravel the secrets of Fenn's identity as strange and supernatural forces gather around them. When they discover Mason's family - with its dark allegiance to ancient Norse gods - is at the heart of the mystery, Fennrys and Mason are suddenly faced with a terrifying future.



My thoughts:


This book has to be all that is considered unputdownable. It was without a doubt a definite page turner - I loved it.


It was the first book I've read by Livingston. I'd already heard great things about her books and writing so I was excited to try it out for myself. I wasn't disappointed - not by a long shot. I found her writing to be fantastically thrilling, wonderfully intense, suspenseful and magical. I loved how she's included just enough mythology to keep me intrigued and kept enough of it hidden so I immediately want to pick up another book that she wrote.


The characters in Starling were brilliant. I took a shine to them immediately, especially Mason and Fenn. Mason was really exciting to read about with all the aspects of her personality - she has great skills in fencing, really bad claustrophobia and was just really loveable in all ways. Fenn was just as loveable to me. He was a great character from how he entered the story to how he interacted with Mason - it was really sweet. I would have loved to have learnt about all his lost memories in a bit more detail but saying that, there are a bucket load of questions I have which I really can't wait to have answered.

 

Starling's plot was astounding in my opinion. I did say I thought the book was a definite page turner and it was for this reason. I loved the whole mythology aspect to it as well as the fact that it wasn't predictable to me at all which is something that I hate to a big extent in any read. There wasn't any part of the book where I wanted to put it down or leave it for one second. Even where there wasn't any action there was always the anticipation of it which is just as good. I did think the ending seemed a bit rushed to me but how it ended more than made up for it to be honest.

 

I definitely have to pick up something else by Livingston soon because if any of her other books are as good as this one, then I want them in my hands as soon as possible.

 

My rating: 9/10

 

Lesley Livingston:

Goodreads | Website | Blog | Twitter 

1 comment:

Ynysawdre Elderly Residents Association said...

I WANT THIS BOOK - been on my wishlist forever :D