Friday 10 January 2014

Review: The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

5597552

Title: The Awakening

Author: Kelley Armstrong

Series: Darkest Powers #2

Publisher: Orbit

Publication date: 03 Feb 2011

Format: Paperback | 368 pages

Genre: YA | Urban Fantasy

Goodreads



Chloe Saunders used to be a normal teenage girl - or so she thought. Then she learnt the shocking truth - she is a walking science experiment. Genetically altered at birth by a sinister team of scientists known as the Edison Group. Chloe is an aberration - a powerful necromancer who can see ghosts and even raise the dead, often with terrifying consequences. Even worse, her growing powers have made her a threat to the surviving members of the Edison Group, who have decided it's time to end their experiment - permanently…


Now Chloe is running for her life with three other supernatural teenagers - a charming sorcerer,  troubled werewolf and a temperamental young witch. Together they have a chance for freedom - but can Chloe trust her new friends?



My thoughts:


When I started this book for the first time, I was worried it wouldn't live up to my expectations based off of how much I loved the first book in the trilogy. I was worried it would be one of those 'filller' books just to bridge the gap between the first and third book. It turned out to be just as good as the first book, if not better, so I had nothing to worry about.


What I loved most about this one was how much more intense the plot got right from the beginning of the book. I guess the ending of the first book was partly to blame, but it certainly meant that this book started off with a bang. I really couldn't get through this book fast enough, just to find out the answers to the questions that had been bugging me since finishing The Summoning. It was as gripping and full of suspense as the best of them - it really had me worrying for the characters more or less throughout the read.


And of course I have to mention how great the characters were. Chloe grew a lot in this book, both in terms of her powers and in character. A lot of secrets were revealed in this book that caused Chloe to doubt her trust in characters that she previously counted on. I loved how she steadily worked through her problems without relying on others as much as she did in the first book. I also really enjoyed how much more I got to know the other characters, especially Derek. Derek is a really refreshing, original character that's continually grown on me  - I would read about him forever if I could.

 

Overall, I really love this read. I seriously recommend this trilogy to any fan of this genre - or even any of Kelley's books. They won't disappoint.

 

My rating: 10/10

 

Kelley Armstrong:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook

 

Darkest Powers:

  1. The Summoning
  2. The Awakening
  3. The Reckoning

No comments: