Monday 4 March 2013

Review: Tamed by Douglas R. Brown

13599900

Title: Tamed

Author: Douglas R. Brown

Publisher: Rhemelda 

Publication date: Jan 26th 2012

Format: ebook | Netgalley

Genre: Paranormal | Horror

Goodreads



Werewolves are real.

And they make excellent pets.

Owning one of the legendary creatures is the latest fad. The WereHouse insists their werepets are loyal, docile, and 100% safe, but what happens when these gentle giants turn on their masters?

While on a routine EMS call, paramedic Christine Alt is attacked by a rogue werepet. She escapes with her life, but the encounter leaves her with more than just scars. As her body begins to change, she discovers the WereHouse is hiding a terrible secret, and they will stop at nothing to keep her from exposing them.



My thoughts:


When I read the summary of this book I just had to read it. Pet werewolves that turn on their masters? The chance to read a book where werewolves are the horrific, gruesome creatures they were first portrayed as before they became cuddly, romantic beasts? Yes please. 


I really liked the different take on werewolves in this book. I do enjoy the occasional mysterious, hot guy turned werewolf love story as much as anyone but there's a bit too much of it out there nowadays. I thought this version was refreshing and it kind of made me love werewolves again. 


What surprised me was the level of horror. I thought there would be some but what I found was nothing like I was expecting. There were little moments in the story that actually made me wince and for me ( I've read a lot of horror) that's unusual. They were few and far between but when they came around it surprised me which was great. 


What I found annoying with this read though was how the characters were introduced. The first part of the book is all to do with introducing individual characters in a one character per chapter kind of way. At first it was a little overwhelming because there were quite a few and then they would just disappear so it felt a little like there was no point to them. After a while, when all of the characters had their say, the story changed completely. When it did change, I found it really predictable. It was pretty obvious what was going to happen half the time so I ended up getting a little frustrated. 


That being said, Brown really did a great job of keeping the read exciting. There was loads of suspense and chair gripping moments. I couldn't take my eyes off the pages and I stayed up well into the morning to finish it.


My rating: 7/10



Douglas R. Brown:

Goodreads | Blog | Twitter

No comments: