Wednesday 20 March 2013

Review: Hooked by Liz Fichera

12369649

Title: Hooked

Author: Liz Fichera

Series: Hooked #1

Publisher: Harlequin Teen

Publication date: Jan 29 2013

Format: ebook | Netgalley

Genre: YA | Contemporary

Goodreads



When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done. 

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

 

 

My thoughts:


When I first started this read I really enjoyed it. It started off really different to anything I've read before with its talk of Native American culture and blessings. I thought it had so much potential when the characters were introduced and the story really got going. Even though, I have to admit, it took me a really long time to even get into this story.


When the characters were introduced I thought Fed was a really sweet girl who was struggling to be true to who she is in a place that doesn't allow her to be. I thought her Dad was a wonderful supporting character with the stories he tells his daughter and how he encouraged her to do what she loves. 


Ryan, however, came across as a real idiot at the start of the book but it was obvious why. He was one of those characters that has to redeem himself to the girl after he makes loads of stupid mistakes and realises he was in the wrong the whole time and needs to turn his life around. So I liked him from the beginning in the sense that I knew he was going to change and so I looked deeper than the stupid stuff he did.

 

That's pretty much all I liked about it though. After just under a hundred pages in I got really tired of the characters and the story. It was one of those stories that you can predict everything that happens to an unbelievable extent. Sometimes I felt that it was so bad that there was no point in reading on.

 

The characters got really tiresome too. I think the author waited a little too long for Ryan to change and to redeem himself. It was after the 90% mark in the read that he only started to actually fully apologise verbally and with his actions. I think if it was done gradually I would have found it more believable but this way I started to really dislike Ryan. 

 

Fred just got annoying. I know it's harsh, but she was so timid. At some points I questioned whether or not she was ashamed of who she is because that was how she was coming across half the time. I think the problem was that Ryan changed but it doesn't mean that Fred shouldn't too. I was urging her in my head to stand up for herself just a little more instead of having some kind of bodyguard with her all the time. 

 

My rating: 4/10

 

 

Liz Fichera:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

1 comment:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I really enjoyed the golf sequences of this book (surprisingly) but agree that the characters were somewhat lacking especially Ryan who was an idiot for most of the book.