Wednesday 13 March 2013

Review: Black Feathers by Joseph D'Lacey

16071827

Title: Black Feathers

Author: Joseph D'Lacey

Series: Black Dawn #1

Publisher: Angry Robot

Publication date: 4th April 2013

Format: ebook | Netgalley

Genre: Fantasy | Horror

Goodreads


 

Black Feathers is a modern fantasy set in two epochs: the Black Dawn, a time of environmental apocalypse, and generations into the future in its aftermath, the Bright Day.

In each era, a child undertakes a perilous journey to find a dark messiah known as The Crowman. In their hands lies the fate of the planet as they attempt to discover whether The Crowman is our saviour… or the final incarnation of evil.

 

 

My thoughts


This is probably going to be a really short review since I found it really hard to like this book.


This is usually my kind of book. The creepy kind of read that is full of suspense and weird happenings. I was actually really excited to read it without having any sort of high hopes or big expectations.


I just couldn't get into it. I found it incredibly difficult to connect to any of the characters for some reason. I thought they were lacking personality and substance that would make me care about what happened to them and the journey they were beginning to undertake. 


However, I thought the story itself was pretty good. The idea behind it and what actually happens was great. It just didn't work for me when I didn't like the characters.


I have to say though, I know a lot of people will love this book. It has the right settings and happenings for a really creepy story. I would recommend you at least try it and hopefully you'll enjoy it even if I didn't.


My rating:  4/10



Joseph D'Lacey:

Goodreads | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

No comments: