Friday 29 March 2013

Review: No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong

9440672

Title: No Humans Involved

Author: Kelley Armstrong

Series: Women of the Otherworld #7

Publisher: Orbit

Publication date: 04 Aug 2011

Format: Paperback | 352 pages

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Goodreads



It's the most anticipated reality television event of the season: three spiritualists gathered in one house to raise the ghost of Marilyn Monroe. For renowned medium Jaime Vegas there's just one problem. Unlike her colleagues, Jaime is the real deal - and she knows the house is truly haunted. Not by dead film stars, but by something even stranger and much more disturbing.


A tragic mystery lurks in the gardens behind the house: trapped spirits that only Jaime can hear. As their whispers grow more frantic, Jaime - along with Alpha werewolf Jeremy Danvers - is forced to embark on an investigation into a shocking underworld of black magic and ritual sacrifice.



My thoughts:


As always, reading a sequel to books in a series always leaves me feeling some level of apprehension. Will it measure up to how I felt about the past six books? Yes. Yes, it really did.


The first worry I had was after I read the blurb of the book and found it's narrated by necromancer Jaime. I love her character but I hadn't gone so far as to think she would be the main focus of one of the books in the series. I found myself really enjoying finding out a lot more about her. Not just her but Jeremy too. Jeremy was definitely shown in a different light than he has been in the past. Jeremy you dog! No pun intended. 


I definitely found Jaime to be a brilliant character. She was so flawed and well rounded that she became incredibly relatable even though she can raise the dead and all that jazz. I really enjoyed her interactions with Jeremy - the way she tested his intentions really made me laugh. She was also really loveable with the way she chastised herself for acting like a crushing schoolgirl. Jaime brought something different to the series as a whole.


The plot was fantastic. I really loved the way it played out the opposite to what I was expecting. It was actually surprisingly creepy. Most of the books in this series have some element of horror, even to just a tiny extent, but this one was taken a little bit further with its talk of ghosts and its descriptions of raising the dead. It managed to make me shudder which was brilliant. 


Armstrong's writing brought everything I expected to the table. There was bucket loads of suspense and excitement up until the very end - truly never a dull moment. 


My rating: 10/10


Kelley Armstrong:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook


Women of the Otherworld:

 

  1. Bitten
  2. Stolen
  3. Dime Store Magic
  4. Industrial Magic
  5. Haunted
  6. Broken
  7. No Humans Involved
  8. Personal Demon
  9. Living with the Dead
  10. Frostbitten
  11. Waking the Witch
  12. Spell Bound
  13. Thirteen


No comments: