Tuesday 5 March 2013

Review: Moonset by Scott Tracey

13516097

Title: Moonset

Author: Scott Tracey

Series: Legacy of Moonset #1

Publisher: Flux

Publication date: Apr 8 2013

Genre: YA | Paranormal

Moonset (Legacy of Moonset, #1)

 

Justin Daggett, his trouble-making sister, and their three orphan-witch friends have gotten themselves kicked out of high school. Again. Now they’ve ended up in Carrow Mills, New York, the town where their parents—members of the terrorist witch organisation known as Moonset—began their evil experiments with the dark arts one generation ago.

When the siblings are accused of unleashing black magic on the town, Justin fights to prove their innocence. But tracking down the true culprit leads him to a terrifying discovery about Moonset’s past . . . and its deadly future.



My thoughts:


I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with this one. I was expecting something a little different when I read the summary - maybe your average teenage drama with a paranormal edge to it, but it went a lot deeper than that and I found myself enjoying the plot.


What I most liked about this read was the backstory of the main character. Justin and his family are the children of terrorists who just happen to be witches too. They abused their power and summoned dark forces and were killed because of it. Justin and his Coven still suffer for what his parents did, even though they had nothing to do with it. All the witchy stuff aside, I think  a lot of people can relate to the injustice of that kind of situation - I know I for one have been blamed for something just because someone in my family happened to do the same thing. I know blood is thicker than water and all that, but to what extent?


I also really loved reading a male's p.o.v. It was such a nice change since I haven't read a male narrative in what feels like such a long time so I really enjoyed the subtle differences. I thought Justin was a really well developed character that completely changed by the end of the book. I could notice him growing up slightly and taking charge when and where he needed to which I think every book with a strong protagonist should have.


The supporting characters, namely Justin's family, Ash and Quinn were really well rounded characters too. I just really wish they played a bigger part in the plot. I didn't feel that I got to know them well enough for me to care about whatever may happen to them by the end of the book. I thought Quinn played the part really well but Justin's siblings were cut out of the story quite a bit which I think is disappointing.


The plot itself seemed to me like a big introduction to the series. There was a huge emphasis on Moonset's past, especially with Justin's father, and the events that occurred felt like a precursor to what is going to happen in the next book. I did enjoy the plot more towards the end where things got very interesting, but I think it has even greater potential in the next book of the series. I definitely want to find out how Tracey takes it from here.


Overall I would recommend this read for fans of the paranormal genre. It's not a quick read and it gets a lot more interesting towards the end, but I enjoyed it.


My rating: 7/10


Scott Tracey:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter 

No comments: