Saturday 22 December 2012

Review: Sweet Venom

13623826

Title: Sweet Venom

Author: Tera Lynn Childs

Series: Medusa Girls #1

Publisher: Templar

Publication date: September 4th 2012

Format: Paperback - 384 pages

Genre: YA - Paranormal/Mythology

Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls, #1)

 

 

GRACE is new in town. It's scary, starting over, but it get's scarier when a girl who looks just like her rocks up to fight it.


GRETCHEN is fed up of fighting monsters, especially on school nights. Getting rid of a minotaur is easy, but she never expected to run into her double in the process.


GREER is perfection personified. But her world is knocked off its immaculate axis when two identical girls appear on her doorstep and claim they're all demon-hunting sisters.



My thoughts:


My biggest worry about books like this is whether or not I'll connect to all of the characters involved because there are quite a few. Even if all three sisters (Grace, Gretchen and Greer) are just as important as each other, it's hard to not favour one over the other and connect with all of them when only two have been introduced from the very beginning. 


Gretchen is the first of the triplets to make an appearance in the story and I liked her right off the bat. She's a tough cookie and has no problem letting everybody know it. Above all I really enjoyed her relationship with Nick - I found it really funny at times and found myself rooting for the man since he put himself up for failure more than a dozen times at least. I also thought that the way Gretchen's personality was balanced out by Grace's was really refreshing - it was incredibly nice to read about the two of them together because they complemented each other so well. 


I loved Grace just as much as Gretchen. I liked how much depth she has underneath her happy-go-lucky exterior and how she interacts with friends and family. She's the most loveable out of the three sisters and as such, sometimes she was the best person to read about. Her brother Thane was really intriguing - he's only involved a few times in the story but all the same, he's so mysterious that I can't help but really want to know what significance he is in the next book.


Greer was where the problem was for me. She makes her first appearance about halfway through the whole book and it didn't really sit well with me. She took too much of a back seat in the story for me to have related to her in any way and she ended up getting on my nerves. It felt like someone interrupting two people in the middle of a conversation in a way - even if I was waiting for her to come into the story, it didn't feel right when she did because it was so late on. Especially with her personality. If she came into the story at the beginning, there would have been more time for me to glean some kind of idea about her past and attitudes towards different things but there wasn't so she just came across as snobby. 


The plot was quite fun to read. I love anything to do with mythology for a start, so that aspect of the book was great to read about - all the different creatures and abilities were great. I did think it seemed like an introduction to the series and that it doesn't really stand on its own as a book. It was all about the triplets finding each other first.


Overall I thought this was a good read full of great world building and secrets yet to be revealed. I thought Greer could have been better as a character but all in all I would definitely recommend this read to anyone who is a fan of YA and mythology. 


My rating: 7/10


Tera Lynn Childs:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook


Medusa Girls series:

  1. Sweet Venom
  2. Sweet Shadows
  3. Sweet Legacy

1 comment:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I thought this was a fun mythological read. I was worried about meeting each sister but found myself liking all of them well enough. Now I just need to pick up the sequel!