Saturday 1 December 2012

Review: Crescendo

7791997

Title: Crescendo

Author: Becca Fitzpatrick

Series: Hush Hush #2

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Publication date: October 2010

Format: Hardcover - 432 pages

Genre: YA - Paranormal

 

 

Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it: a mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous angel. But, despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever and, even worse, he's started spending time with Nora's arch-enemy, Marcie Millar.


Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadn't been acting so distant. Even wth Scott's totally infuriating attitude Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feeling that he's hiding something.


Haunted by images of her murdered father, and questioning whether her Nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death, Nora puts herself in increasingly dangerous situations as she searches for answers. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts.



My thoughts:


This is another book that I'm kicking myself for not reading sooner. I read the first in the series, Hush Hush, when it came out but I left this one till ages after. I just recently bought the last book, Finale, so I wanted to get caught up since I loved Hush Hush so much. 


As always, there was a little bit of apprehension starting the second book of a series. Especially one where I loved the first book. I was a little anxious as to whether I would like all the old characters in the same way as I did before and if I would like the new characters at all. Safe to say I loved all the characters just the same so this book in no way disappointed me.


I think the only problem I had with this book (get it over and done with first) was that there were moments where I thought nothing was happening and my attention started to slip a little. It was moments where characters were supposed to be figuring each other out and moving the plot forward. I suppose I just felt it didn't move fast enough at times - but that could also be me just wanting to find out what happens as soon as possible.


Something I enjoyed more than I did in Hush, Hush was the writing. I think Fitzpatrick did a fabulous job in this one purely because of how the plot turned out without me guessing any of it. Where she wanted Patch to be suspected, i suspected him.  It was such a relief to get towards the end and have no idea what was going to happen.


Speaking of which, the ending was something else entirely. I'm so glad I have the next book waiting in my cupboard because that was a real shocker and completely unexpected.


My rating: 8/10


Becca Fitzpatrick:

Goodreads | Website | Facebook | Twitter

No comments: