Wednesday 12 December 2012

Review: All the Broken Pieces


Images

Title: All the Broken Pieces

Author: Cindi Madsen

Publisher: Entangled Teen

Publication date: December 11th 2012

Format: e-galley

Genre: YA - Contemporary 

 Goodreads

 

What if your life wasn’t your own?

Liv comes out of a coma with no memory of her past and two distinct, warring voices inside her head. Nothing, not even her reflection, seems familiar. As she stumbles through her junior year, the voices get louder, insisting she please the popular group while simultaneously despising them. But when Liv starts hanging around with Spencer, whose own mysterious past also has him on the fringe, life feels complete for the first time in, well, as long as she can remember.

Liv knows the details of the car accident that put her in the coma, but as the voices invade her dreams, and her dreams start feeling like memories, she and Spencer seek out answers. Yet the deeper they dig, the less things make sense. Can Liv rebuild the pieces of her broken past, when it means questioning not just who she is, but what she is?



My thoughts:


I started this read not really knowing what to expect and what I did find was that it was a little bit disappointing to be honest.


The characters always make or break any book for me. The characters of All the Broken Pieces were seriously lacking depth in my opinion. I couldn't connect with any of them so I didn't really care what happened to them or if they were going to get their happy ending. It also made everything that happened so anticlimactic. There were quite a few surprises here and there but I literally found myself not caring, just because the characters didn't mean anything to me. 


The plot was definitely intriguing. I did find myself seriously getting completely sucked under with the plot. I did guess what happened halfway through the book which was annoying but it was still a great plot twist. It was probably the only thing that kept me reading.


I was also really devastated about the ending. It was so dissatisfying that I thought I'd missed a couple of chapters out of the read. It seemed really abrupt to me and in some ways wrong. It might be just me, but what happens in this book is pretty creepy and I'm sure everybody would agree, but that wasn't my problem. It was the fact that everybody seemed to just forget about it and move on straight away in the story. I didn't like it. 


Cindi Madsen's writing was pretty exceptional. I thought she had a great urgency to her writing at moments where I was racing through the read. It built up quite a bit of suspense in my mind until the big reveal of the huge secret involved. The only problem was, I had already figured it out a long time before it all came unraveled. 


All in all, I was disappointed with this one but it did have its moments. I thought it was a gripping read but I couldn't get my head round the characters and the ending.

 

My rating: 5/10

 

Cindi Madsen:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook 

 

No comments: