Monday 24 September 2012

Series Spotlight: The Mortal Instruments #1

 

1471425

Title: City of Bones

Author: Cassandra Clare

Publisher: UK - Walker Books | US - McElderry Books

Publication date: UK - 02 Jul 2007 | US - February 2008

Format: Paperback - 448 pages

Genre: YA - Urban Fantasy

 

 

Clary Fray is seeing things: vampires in Brooklyn and werewolves in Manhattan. Irresistibly drawn towards a group of sexy demon hunters, Clary encounters the dark side of New York City - and the dangers of forbidden love.



My thoughts:


I have read City of Bones before but I thought it would be nice to do a series spotlight with the whole series since I haven't read the next four books. Let me start the review by saying this book is one of my all time favourites - I won't ever stop reading it or get tired of it for that matter. I guess you can tell where this review is going already.

 

Personally I think City of Bones is everything I could ever ask for in a book. I can't fault it at all. It has a fantastic plot and characters that really break your heart even with their little one liners - for anyone who's read the book already you can guess I'm talking about Jace in particular.

 

It's not that often that I mention anything about the writing style of authors in reviews but Cassandra Clare deserves all the appreciation she gets. She has this really entertaining way of writing that is most of the time incredibly sophisticated and then there are little paragraphs of hilarity that are slipped in. Not to mention how she doesn't fail to make a reader fall in love with characters immediately by instantly displaying their true characters within the first couple of lines of their appearance in the book. It's because of that excellent writing that made my heart break whenever anything terrible happened to any of the characters - the characters that are on the good side of course. 

 

As for the plot, I am so excited to see how it turns out. It took such a dramatic turn towards the end that I have absolutely no idea what to think when it comes to what is going to happen in the next books. It was definitely exciting the whole way through - there wasn't a dull moment. If there wasn't any fights with demons going on then there were exclamations of love and terrible betrayals. 

 

This is definitely a must read for anyone who hasn't read it yet - it truly is an enthralling read set in a brilliant world full of great creatures and sexy Shadowhunters!

 

My rating: 10/10

 

Cassandra Clare:

Goodreads | Website | Facebook | Twitter

 

Books in the series:

  1. City of Bones
  2. City of Ashes
  3. City of Glass
  4. City of Fallen Angels
  5. City of Lost Souls
  6. City of Heavenly Fire 

 

The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

No comments: