Sunday 5 January 2014

Review: Touch the Dark by Karen Chance

67513

Title: Touch the Dark

Author: Karen Chance

Series: Cassandra Palmer #1

Publisher: Penguin

Publication date: 28 Jun 2007

Format: Paperback | 320 pages

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Goodreads



Cassandra Palmer can see the future and communicate with spirits—talents that make her attractive to the dead and the undead. The ghosts of the dead aren’t usually dangerous; they just like to talk…a lot.

The undead are another matter.

Like any sensible girl, Cassie tries to avoid vampires. But when the bloodsucking mafioso she escaped three years ago finds Cassie again with vengeance on his mind, she’s forced to turn to the vampire Senate for protection.

The undead senators won’t help her for nothing, and Cassie finds herself working with one of their most powerful members, a dangerously seductive master vampire—and the price he demands may be more than Cassie is willing to pay....

 

 

My thoughts:


I'm just going to dive straight in and say this book was pretty much average for me, if that.


The biggest problem I had that prevented me from really loving this book, was that it was incredibly long winded at times. It was the kind of read where, whenever something had to be explained in detail, it was a chore to read. It happened quite a few times too, so it was definitely something that really put me off. I was mostly frustrated because most of it, in my opinion, was completely unnecessary - I could have figured it out on my own.


The only other thing that bothered me was the romance aspect to the book. It was creepy. I was fine with it until Mircea started bringing up his memories of Cassandra when she was twelve. I can't even tell you how much it put me off.


Aside from that, I liked the book. It just wasn't something I would pick up again - everything else was pretty much average. The characters were okay, apart from Tomas, I don't know what happened there. The plot wasn't original but still mediocre and the writing was alright aside from the aforementioned long windedness.


Overall, it was nothing to add to my favourites list and I don't really recommend it, but it was okay.


My rating: 5/10


Karen Chance:

Goodreads | Website 

No comments: