Monday 27 January 2014

Review: Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind

4016992

Title: Stone of Tears

Author: Terry Goodkind

Series: Sword of Truth #2

Publisher: Gollancz

Publication date: 10 Jul 2008

Format: Paperback | 1040 pages

Genre: Epic Fantasy 

Goodreads



The veil of the underworld has been torn.

And Darken Rahl, from beyond the veil, has begun to summon a sinister power worse than any he has wielded before.

Armed with the Sword of Truth, Richard Cypher, now become Richard Rahl, must learn to control his own new-found power; or the world will spin into darkness unending.

The Sisters of Light promise help. While Richard journeys to their forbidden city, his beloved Kahlan sets out for Ayindril, citadel of the old wizards, in search of Zedd and the help only he can lend. War, suffering, torture, and deceit lie on their paths. So, also, does their destiny...

 

My thoughts:


Wow this was one monster of a book!


So far in the series, I'm really enjoying the writing style of the author. There's just enough description for me to believe I'm really there whilst not being so detailed to bore me to tears.  I love getting to know the world the characters live in and appreciate the imagination that's gone into it.


I also really loved the new characters introduced, especially Gratch. They interacted really well with each other and every character had their part to play in the story. I hope I see more of some of them in the books to come.


The plot was a little all over the place at times since there was a lot of focus on subplots. The author switches the point of view of the characters almost constantly so the story doesn't really come together until the very end - with a book this size, it seems like a very long wait.


Overall I enjoyed this read. It was exciting and full of suspense - I can't wait to see what's in store for all of the characters.


My rating: 8/10


Terry Goodkind:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook


No comments: