Tuesday 4 February 2014

Review: Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews

6479550

Title: Magic Bleeds 

Author: Ilona Andrews

Series: Kate Daniels #4

Publisher: Ace

Publication date: 25 May 2010

Format: Paperback | 384 pages

Genre: Adult | Urban Fantasy 

Goodreads



Kate Daniels works for the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, officially, as a liaison with the mercenary guild. Unofficially, she cleans up the paranormal problems no one else wants to handle - especially if they involve Atlanta's shapeshifting community.


When she's called in to investigate a fight at the Steel Horse, a bar on the border between the territories of the shapeshifters and the necromancers, Kate quickly discovers there's a new player in town. One who's been around for thousands of years - and rode to war at the side of Kate's father.


This foe may be too much even for Kate and Curran, the Beast Lord, to handle. Because this time Kate will be taking on family…



My thoughts:


Wow! This writing duo certainly kicked it up a notch with this one!


What can I say about this book other than I loved it so, so much. I'm normally a little anxious about reading on in a series - especially urban fantasy series - just because I get so disappointed when they go downhill after a great start. The first book in the Kate Daniels series was brilliant, so I couldn't imagine it getting any better. Boy was I wrong!


 What got me most was the humour. There were little funny moments here and there in the past three books of this series but this one just took the biscuit. Every time Curran and Kate are in the same room together, something happens that makes me laugh, no exception. Quite a few moments in this book will make any reader realise that those two are really made for each other. It made for some really hilarious reading let me tell you.


In the past three books there has been mention of romantic interest between Curran and Kate but it never really got anywhere. In this book there was about equal focus on the paranormal problems of Atlanta Kate has to deal with, and Kate's relationship with Curran. Normally I don't like romance to take a huge chunk out of the book, but I love the two characters so much that I welcomed it. If anything, it added to the overall plot of the story since Kate had more to worry about than ever.


The new characters introduced in this book were amazing. Kate's new enemy was pretty much an overpowered creep. She really led to some thrilling action throughout the read where I got seriously worried for some of the characters involved. Plus a shapeshifter that turns into a crocodile warrior? Awesome!


Overall I thought this was the best book yet - I'm starting to think that I'll be saying that for every new Kate Daniels book I read but I don't want to let my expectations get too high.


My rating: 10/10


Ilona Andrews:

Goodreads | Website | Facebook | Twitter

 

Kate Daniels:

  1. Magic Bites
  2. Magic Burns
  3. Magic Strikes
  4. Magic Bleeds
  5. Magic Slays
  6. Magic Rises

 

No comments: