Monday 7 January 2013

Review: Steel by Carrie Vaughn

11753214

Title: Steel

Author: Carrie Vaughn

Publisher: HarperTeen

Publication date: 13 March 2012

Format: Paperback - 304 pages

Genre: YA - Paranormal 

Steel
 
 
 
 

A mysterious broken sword transports a modern teen through time to the deck of a pirate ship. Stranded in the past, and surrounded by strangers, she is forced to sign on as crew. But a pirate's life is bloody and brief, and as she learns about the dark magic that brought her there she forms a desperate scheme to get her home - one that risks everything in a duel to the death with a villainous pirate captain!





My thoughts:


This book had been on my wishlist for over two years before I finally decided to buy it. I just thought that the idea of going back through time to a pirate ship could turn into a really fun read and it was.
 
 
First off, I have to say I really enjoyed Vaughn's writing style. It was really simple and to the point whilst still having enough descriptive writing to keep the settings magical and interesting. It had a little of everything that a good writer has which really kept me turning the pages.
 
 
My favourite part of this book was all to do with the characters. I instantly fell in love with Jill with her fencing and frustration with herself. I loved how she changed throughout the story - she really came out of her shell and learnt to appreciate what she already had. I thought that the fact that she was a flawed character at the beginning that learnt from her experience was really refreshing - it's not done in books no way near enough anymore in my opinion. 
 
 
I also loved the other characters. I thought the villainous pirate Blane could have been included a lot more in the book since he played such a huge part in the plot - he was just mentioned a lot of the time which I wasn't really satisfied with. Cooper, Abe and Henry were absolutely adorable. I thought they, especially Henry, were so loveable that I was rooting for them the whole book. They were all well-developed and relatable so they made for a nice read.
 
 
My only problem with this book, and it is a big one, is the plot. It was so underwhelming for me. It was over so quickly so I felt like it was too easy for the characters to get what they want - there wasn't much of a struggle and there was no way near enough adventure. The only reason I kept reading was entirely because I wanted to find out what happened to the characters - I couldn't really care less what happened in terms of the plot.
 
 
Overall, I thought this was a nice read. Considering it only took me a couple of hours to read I would recommend it, especially to fans of pirates!
 
 
My rating: 7/10
 
 
 
Carrie Vaughn:

No comments: