Saturday 17 November 2012

Series Spotlight: Need #3

8069535

Title: Entice

Author: Carrie Jones

Publisher: Bloomsbury (UK | US)

Publication date: UK - 04/01/2011 | US - December 2011

Format: Paperback - 272 pages 

Genre: YA - Paranormal

Entice (Need, #3)

 

Zara and Nick are soul mates, meant to be together for ever. But that's not quite how things have worked out. For starters, Nick has gone. He has been taken to the mythical place for warriors known as Valhalla. Zara and her friends might be able to get him back , it's just not going to be easy. Meanwhile a group of evil pixies is devastating Bedford, with more teens going missing every day. An all-out war seems imminent, and the good guys need all the warriors they can find. But even if Zara and her friends do discover the route to Valhalla, there's that other small problem: Zara's been pixie kissed. When she finds Nick, will he even want to go with her? Especially since she hasn't turned into just any pixie…She's Astley's queen.



My thoughts:


 After just finishing this the first thought that came to mind was that it disappointed me. I had hoped after enjoying the first book in the series and not the second so much that it would improve. I have to say, the first book seems like it's part of a different series altogether, even by a completely different author.

 

Mostly, what I didn't like in the second book of the Need series, Captivate, I had the same problems with in this one, especially the characters. I've already mentioned that I didn't like the way the characters seemed to drastically change for no apparent reason apart from it being the second book. It made me completely unfeeling towards them if anything (bad or good) happened to them. I couldn't root for one character or another so it made the read pointless in a way. If you don't care for any of the characters then what is the point in reading a book?

 

I did think the plot was better than both the first and the second book. It had a lot more substance, more to gain if all goes to plan and definitely more to lose if things didn't turn out the way they were supposed to. There was a lot more suspense involved which made the book that much more intense. I did think that far too much happened too quickly at moments. One big event would occur and then another in the next page - partner that with not really caring about what happens to any of the characters led to said events being anticlimactic. 

 

What I most liked about this read was that it was incredibly focused on one thing, making it incredibly fast paced. It all revolved on the characters rescuing someone they care deeply about and everything else was put aside for the moment. The end of the book all came down to whether they achieved this or not - it got pretty exciting towards the end. I did like the end too - it was really different and it was described in this really magical and captivating way. I thoroughly enjoyed the end of the book. 

 

My rating: 6/10

 

Carrie Jones:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook

 

Books in the series:

  1. Need
  2. Captivate
  3. Entice
  4. Endure

 

Need by Carrie Jones

No comments: