Monday 19 December 2011

Review: Elixir

Title: Elixir
Author: Hilary Duff
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication date: October 2010
Format: Paperback - 330 pages
Source: UK Book Tours
Other: Excerpt - Chapter 1
My rating: 7/10

Summary:

A soulmate for life...or death

Seventeen-year-old Clea Raymond has felt the glare of the spotlight her entire life. The daughter of a renowned surgeon and a prominent politician, she has become a talented photojournalist who takes refuge in a world that allows her to travel to many exotic places. But after Clea's father disappears while on a humanitarian mission, Clea begins to notice eerie, shadowy images in her photos of a strange and beautiful young man - a man she has never seen before.

When fate brings Clea and this man together, she is stunned by the immediate and powerful connection she feels with him. As they grow closer, they are drawn deep into the mystery behind her father's disappearance, and they discover the centuries-old truth behind the intense bond. Torn by a dangerous love triangle and haunted by a powerful secret that holds their fates, together they race against time to unravel their pasts in order to save their lives - and their futures.

My thoughts:

I feel like I enjoyed this book for the wrong reason, it's so weird - I have no idea why I almost feel guilty for liking it! :P

I'll start with what I didn't like about this one I think because otherwise I'll start ranting about one character in particular BIG TIME!

There are two characters in the book - Clea and Sage (love the name by the way, it's different) - well, I really didn't like the relationship between them both. I'll let you read the book yourselves to find out exactly what their relationship is but for me, it didn't start or even progress in the right way at all. It came out of absolutely nowhere (when it was happening in the real world, not the dream one but again I'll let you read for yourself) and then it just became this huge deal. I still don't get what happened...

And the other aspect of the book I didn't like was the end. It felt quite rushed compared to the beginning which in itself was pretty slow. One thing that really frustrates me is rushed endings, in my opinion, the ending is the most important part of the book so for it to end like it did was disappointing.

What I did like about Elixir was the little surprises that came with characters looking for clues throughout the book to find the whereabouts of Clea's father. There were some parts of the book that shocked me in a good way just because they were quite out of place. But at the same time the said parts of the book were enjoyable and I took the change to the story in my stride and accepted it.

What I loved most though was SAGE. This character is the reason I liked the book even when I feel like I shouldn't. The funny thing is though, whenever I try to pinpoint what I like about him exactly, I can't because when I look back at his personality I kind of don't like him. I know it's so WEIRD! He's definitely hot stuff though! :P

The Elixir Series:

  • #1 - Elixir
  • #2 - Devoted
Hilary Duff:

Goodreads|Website|Facebook|Myspace|Flickr|Youtube|Tumblr


2 comments:

Amber Skye said...

Great review! I've had this one for a while, but haven't ever started it. I may have to now :)

Unknown said...

I also felt like Clea and Sage's relationship sort of came out of no where and was awkward. The ending was really abrupt but I think that was to leave you wanting the sequel. I did plan on reading it but then I just didn't feel like it. There were some surprises but the book was kind of average for me.
If you have time check out my review Reign Fall