Monday 9 May 2011

Review: The Damned Busters

Title: The Damned Busters

Author: Matthew Hughes

Publisher: Angry Robot Books

Publication date: May 2011

My Rating: 6/10

Buy the book

Author: Website|Goodreads


Summary:

Chesney Arnstruther: by day, mild mannered insurance man; by night, fearless superhero crime fighter. By his side, his wisecracking demonic sidekick, in a somewhat ill-fitting costume.

Watch out all you freaks, weirdo's, werewolves and assorted furry monsters, the Damned Busters are on your trail!

File Under: Comic Fantasy [ Satanic Unions / Hell on Strike / A Deal with Satan / Crooked Preachers ]


My thoughts:

I was definitely intrigued about this book when I heard about it. Where else can you find a book about  an ordinary man summoning a demon by accident who then becomes a superhero?

Yeah, it was a really fun, creative idea for a story that was refreshing to read. It was a fabulously funny story with great ideas about good and evil and it was brilliantly written at times.

But there was a problem for me. The first quarter or so of the book was great. It made me laugh, it made me think, it was going good. But then I sort of started to not like the protagonist and then I found it hard to continue to stick with the story. It sort of lost it’s steam at some point.

I don’t really know what else to say…it had loads of potential to be a lot better for me but I just lost it at one point. I did finish the book but it didn’t really sit well with me.

It does deserve a lot of credit though for the whacky idea and the writing…it was a whole load of different.


 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments: