Friday 20 September 2013

Review: Rip Tide by Kat Falls

15809661

Title: Rip Tide

Author: Kat Falls

Series: Dark Life #2

Publisher: Scholastic

Publication date: January 1st 2013

Format: Paperback | 320 pages

Genre: YA | Science Fiction

Goodreads



Ty has always known that the ocean is a dangerous place. Every time he swims beyond the borders of his family's subsea farm, he's prepared to face all manner of aquatic predators - sharks, squid, killer whales….


But Ty is unprepared for the deadliest dangers of the deep. When he and his Topsider ally, Gemma, make a horrific discovery far below the surface, they begin to unravel a conspiracy that will put them in conflict with outlaws, Seaguard officers, and the savage, trident-wielding surfs - plus creatures unlike any Ty has encountered before.



My thoughts:


I was a big fan of the first book in this series, Dark Life, so I couldn't wait to pick this up. I have to say, I'm a bigger fan of Kat Falls than I was when I finished the first book. I loved it.

 

What I loved most about Dark Life was the world building and the creativity that went into it. I found this to be the case in Rip Tide too, maybe even more so. I absolutely adored the descriptions of the ocean, townships and Rip Tide itself. It was the kind of writing where you can picture everything seamlessly as you read it as if you're watching a film - a really great film at that. So much imagination was put into this book which, in my opinion, made the world it's set in more charming, and the story more enthralling.

 

I also found the characters to be just as well written. I loved Ty just as ever - he really came into his own in this book. Gemma was just as great. I actually thought she had the most depth to her character compared to the last book where Ty was more of the main focus. Ty was still the main star of the story, but I felt that I got to know Gemma a whole lot more in Rip Tide.

 

Overall I found this to be a fantastic read that I finished in no time at all - I only wish it was a lot longer!

 

My rating: 10/10

 

Kat Falls:

Goodreads | Website | Facebook

 

Dark Life:

  1. Dark Life
  2. Rip Tide

1 comment:

Ann @ Blogging Profits Unleashed said...

I recently read the first book and really enjoyed it :) I really need to check out book 2!