Monday 9 September 2013

Review: If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch

17568548

Title: If You Find Me

Author: Emily Murdoch

Publisher: Indigo

Publication date: 02 May 2013

Format: Hardback | 304 pages

Genre: YA | Contemporary

Goodreads



THERE ARE SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND ... 

A broken-down camper hidden deep in a national forest is the only home fifteen-year-old Carey can remember. The trees keep guard over her threadbare existence, with the one bright spot being Carey's younger sister, Jenessa, who depends on Carey for her very survival. All they have is each other, as their mentally ill mother comes and goes with greater frequency. Until that one fateful day their mother disappears for good, and the girls are found by their father, a stranger, and taken to re-enter the "normal" life of school, clothes and boys. 

Now, Carey must come to terms with the truth of why their mother spirited them away ten years ago, while haunted by a past that won't let her go ... a dark past that hides many a secret, including the reason Jenessa hasn't spoken a word in over a year. Carey knows she must keep her sister close, and her secrets even closer, or risk watching her new life come crashing down.

 

 

My thoughts:


Before I say anything, I have to first mention that I loved this book and you should definitely go and buy this one because it's a keeper. From the very first line I was completely drawn into the story - I couldn't put this book down for the life of me. This book immediately came across as one that would be full of endearing characters and emotional moments.


There are quite a few disturbing moments in this read but it was definitely necessary and it wasn't in so much detail to make me too uncomfortable reading it. But sometimes, this story was painfully intense. I worried so much about what was going to happen to the characters and whether they would get through the hard times they were going through and the traumatic events they had already experienced.


Honestly, this book was non stop feels for me. I wanted to cry from the beginning and I finally let the tears fall at the end of the story. Yeah, you'll probably need some tissues handy. You always know you've read a good story when it plays on your mind for ages after.


Besides the overpowering emotions at points, Emily's writing is something to look out for in the future. It was amazing. I always describe writing like this as if it's a film playing through my head. The descriptions are detailed in the best way, I can picture all of the settings perfectly and the characters are just brought to life with the way Emily created and developed them. Fabulous characters guys, you'll fall in love with all of them.


Most of all, I loved that this read was relatable to everybody in some way or another. It's about real life issues - some more extreme than others, but there's going to be an issue tackled in this book that you can relate to, trust me. It really makes you think.


My rating: 10/10


Emily Murdoch:

Goodreads | Blog | Twitter

1 comment:

Susan said...

This one sounds really, really good. I definitely want to read it. Thanks for the review!