Wednesday 6 February 2013

Series Spotlight: Parasol Protectorate #2

6933876

Title: Changeless

Author: Gail Carriger

Series: Parasol Protectorate #2

Publisher: Orbit

Publication date: Sept 2010

Format: Paperback - 388 pages

Genre: Urban Fantasy | Steampunk

Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2)

 

 

Lady Alexia is rudely awoken in the wee hours of the mid-afternoon to find rather peculiar events transpiring.


Her husband, who should be decently asleep like any normal werewolf, is yelling at the top of his lungs. Then he disappears - leaving her to deal with a regiment of supernatural soldiers encamped on her doorstep, a plethora of exorcised ghosts and an angry Queen Victoria.


But Alexia is armed with her trusty parasol, the latest fashions and an arsenal of biting civility. Even when her investigations take her to Scotland, the backwater of ugly waistcoats, she is prepared - upending werewolf pack dynamics as only the soulless can.


She might even find time to track down her wayward husband, if she feels like it.



My thoughts:


I'm writing this review straight after finishing this book and honestly, I'm a little upset right now about what happened at the end. I'm finding it hard to get over it! It really tugged at my heartstrings…Conall needs a slap around the back of the head. I'm hoping Alexia provides him with one in the next book.


I found myself loving this book just as much as I did the first. It did seem to be like an in-between kind of book and wouldn't really stand on its own if it wasn't part of a series. But, honestly, I don't care because I'm loving the series as a whole anyway. I thought the plot was great. It wasn't as good as the first book in the series but it held its own and I liked it regardless. I still found myself turning the pages as fast as I could.

 

What really stands out in these books, this one especially, is the characters and the writing. Alexia and Conall in particular, they really had me laughing a lot of times throughout the read. They also really made me feel for them whenever they were anxious or upset. This is where the ending comes in again. I swear I felt my heart fall into my stomach. It says a lot about a writer when a reader can identify or relate to any character at that level. It makes reading the book an entirely different experience to a book where I couldn't really care less about the main characters. 

 

I can't really say anything more about this one. I just adored this book and really recommend this series to anyone who is a fan of urban fantasy - I can guarantee it will get a laugh out of you at least, it's just too witty not to. 

 

My rating:  10/10

 

Gail Carriger:

Goodreads | Website | Facebook | Twitter 

 

Parasol Protectorate:

  1. Soulless
  2. Changeless
  3. Blameless
  4. Heartless
  5. Timeless

 

Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger

1 comment:

samantha.1020 said...

I feel your pain! I was SO mad when I finished this book but I love this series so much. I've read the first three books and I'm planning on rereading them back to back before I finish up the last two. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying them as well. Great review!!!