Tuesday 23 July 2013

Review: King Hall by Scarlett Dawn

18135156

Title: King Hall

Author: Scarlett Dawn

Publisher: Escape

Publication date: 08/2013

Format: Netgalley

Genre: New Adult | Paranormal

Goodreads



A fresh, meaty, sink-your-teeth-in-and-hold-on-tight new adult fantasy series kicks off with King Hall…
 
King Hall — where the Mysticals go to learn their craft, get their degrees, and transition into adulthood. And where four new Rulers will rise and meet their destinies. 
 
Lily Ruckler is adept at one thing:  survival.  Born a Mystical hybrid, her mere existence is forbidden, but her nightmare is only about to start. Fluke, happenstance, and a deep personal loss finds Lily deeply entrenched with those who would destroy her simply for existing — The Mystical Kings.  Being named future Queen of the Shifters shoves Lily into the spotlight, making her one of the most visible Mysticals in the world. But with risk comes a certain solace — her burgeoning friendships with the other three Prodigies: a wicked Vampire, a wild-child Mage, and a playboy Elemental. Backed by their faith and trust, Lily begins to relax into her new life. 
 
Then chaos erupts as the fragile peace between Commoners and Mysticals is broken, and suddenly Lily realises the greatest threat was never from within, and her fear takes on a new name: the revolution.



My thoughts:


I'm so glad I got to read this…


This was definitely a book I enjoyed reading. It was by no means perfect, but I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. It had a little bit of everything - humour, romance, action and quite a lot of heartbreak. 


The plot was a little different to the average Paranormal Romance which I loved. Humans were the main enemy of the supernatural creatures involved in the story which I haven't come across very often. I also really enjoyed the idea of the main characters being prodigies destined to be the next kings and queens of different supernatural creatures. This book wasn't just about magic, vampires and shifters. It also touched on discrimination in a way, with it being frowned upon for two different supernatural creatures (e.g a vampire and shifter) to have a relationship. It had a few original elements in it which is always a plus for me.


Like I said, it wasn't perfect. Sometimes the writing got a little sloppy and rushed. Also, there were quite a few time jumps in the story which I thought interrupted the pace the story was going at. A little frustrating. However, the story seemed to more than make up for anything I found a little annoying. I just couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen.


I also really loved the characters. There were a couple of characters in the beginning that were only mentioned a few times even though they were supposed to be important to the main character. Eventually, towards the end of the book, they completely disappeared, but I forgot about it after a while.


The main characters though were great. The Kings made me laugh with their means of punishing the prodigies and the prodigies, in turn, made me laugh with the way they interacted with each other at times. There's quite a bit of humour interspersed throughout the story which is another plus for me. 


All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will definitely be getting my own copy when it comes out. I seriously can't wait to find out what happens next with that ending.


My rating: 8/10


Scarlett Dawn:

Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

No comments: