Saturday 4 May 2013

Review: Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza

10222362

Title: Mila 2.0

Author: Debra Driza

Series: MILA 2.0 #1

Publisher: HarperCollins

Publication date: 28th March 2013

Format: ebook | Netgalley 

Genre: YA | Science Fiction 

Goodreads



No one suspects what she’s made of…
After the sudden death of her father, Mila’s at a new school, trying to fit in and falling for mysterious sexy Hunter. But her world slams upside down in a heartbeat when a car accident reveals a secret she never knew; a secret about herself.

Mila is devastated to learn that her memories are just chimeras, her dreams untrue. She can’t even rely on her emotions to tell her who she is. So how can she grieve for her father or feel the way she does about Hunter? And why is her mom running scared?

Worse still, who are the creepy stalkers so desperate to get their hands on her…?



My thoughts:


I'm going to start off this review by saying straight off I was disappointed with this book.


Mila 2.0  drew me in straight away with it's summary. I thought it had such potential since I'd never read anything with some kind of robot as its main focus, but to be honest, it was pretty much the same as every other book in terms of what happens. It was way too predictable for me - I was looking forward to something different and something that would take me by surprise. Maybe I just expected too much from it.

 

Don't get me wrong, I didn't outright hate it. It definitely had its merits. I loved how Mila had her problems right from the start before she even found out about her huge secret. It made her relatable right from the start and for Mila's character, that was especially important - she had to come across as human and vulnerable in her own ways. I thought that was achieved quickly enough that I really felt for Mila as the story went on.

 

I don't really know what to think about the characters though. On the one hand I really liked some of the personalities involved but on the other, I felt like they weren't around for very long. The book was divided at some point in the middle so most of the characters in the first half weren't involved in the last. The characters that I really liked disappeared pretty quickly so by the end of the book everything felt a little unresolved. 

 

Overall I think this was just one of those reads that wasn't for me. Judging by other reviews though, a good number of people enjoyed this one so give it a go.

 

My rating: 4/10

 

 

Debra Driza:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter

3 comments:

Nikola's Book Blog said...

Urgh, I hate when that happens! I was actually quite giddy about the synopsis, certain that I would end up adding this book to my TBR, until I scrolled down to your review. Thanks for the warning!

Why in the WORLD would you get rid of half the characters halfway to the book? That doesn't make any sense!

Isa said...

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the book, it sucks when the concept sounds so interesting yet the book turns out to be predictable. It's also sad that the characters you liked disappeared too.

The Cover Contessa said...

I was disappointed in this book, as well. Such a great concept but it fell short. Characters were just taken out of the story, when I thought they should be included. I was annoyed and a bit bored in the middle.