Wednesday 25 April 2012

Series Spotlight - The Demonata books 5 & 6



Images

Title: Blood Beast

Author: Darren Shan

Publisher: HarperCollins

My rating: 10/10 

 

Summary:


Locked inside Dervish's study. Breath coming quickly, raggedly. Trembling wildly. I still feel sick and dizzy, but maybe that's fear. I force myself to breathe normally, evenly. When I'm in control, I study my reflection, looking for telltale signs. Am I turning into a werewolf? I don't know...


Grubbs Grady has so far escaped the family curse, but when he begins to experience alarming symptoms at the onset of the full moon, he is scared that the jaws of fate are opening and about to swallow him whole.

 

He has cheated death, defeated demons, moved on with his life. But Grubbs is torn between the world of magic and his wolfen genes. Can he fight the beast inside or will he fall victim to his tainted blood? 

 

 

 My thoughts:


What I love most about this book is  the story itself. It has a brilliant plot as well as loads of action and tons of suspense.


It's another book in the series that deals primarily with Grubbs and his family curse. I really loved feeling the constant worry and fear that Grubbs felt in the book as well as sympathy for what other characters had to deal with.


Darren definitely has this brilliant way of making each book not just another in the series but instead a really great book on its own. I've read so many books in a series that on their own are not so great and only shine as part of a collection of a few books.


There's also more in this book to do with normality such as Grubbs being at school and his friends being more involved in the story. So far in the series Grubbs is definitely one of the more important characters and also more likeable in certain ways.


There isn't much to say about this book without giving too much away for those who haven't read the series from the beginning. This is definitely a great read with a lot of action and suspense as well as a few good surprises.


2169314



Title: Demon Apocalypse

My rating: 10/10


Summary:


Fire! It's all around me, fierce, intense, out of control. I feel the hair on my arms singe and know I have only seconds before I burst into flames. Total panic. There's a horrible shrieking sound, piercing and destructive. My eardrums and eyeballs should burst. "It's hell!" I moan.

 

One boy's life ripped to shreds before his eyes...

One wrathful demon master hellbent on revenge...

An army of grisly Demonata on the rampage...

 
It's the end of the world as we know it.
 
 
My thoughts:

Would it surprise you if I said I also love this book? I didn't think so...
 
I really do though. No book in this series ever disappointed to me - they are all brilliant in their own unique way. 
 
Demon Apocalypse is definitely another book entirely based on the Demonata rather than say Grubbs' family curse. It's full of plenty of demons in all their horrifying glory and then some. That means that it also comes with gore galore and loads of heart-almost-bursting-out-of-your-chest kind of action.
 
I just wanted to point out how awesome these covers are. They're definitely not ones to have facing you when you're about to go to sleep in the dark but they are amazing covers. I do have all of the series in the same covers and they go so well together with the different colours and different demons on the cover.
 
Grubbs and Kernel (from Demon Thief) are together in this book which makes for a great read because of their interactions with each other.
 
This is probably the most emotional book of the entire series for a reason I won't spoil for anyone. When said emotional moment happened I literally couldn't breathe for how unexpected it was and how much it pained me that it had to happen! Brilliant read - fantastic.
 
Make sure to check out my reviews of:
 
Happy reading!





No comments: