Wednesday 22 February 2012

Review: Ultraviolet

Title: Ultraviolet
Author: R J Anderson
Publisher: Orchard Books
Publication date:
June 2nd 2011
Book source: Bought
Paperback: 408 pages
My rating: 8/10

Summary:

Once upon a time there was a girl who was special.
This is not her story.
Unless you count the part where I killed her.

Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison's condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can't explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori - the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that's impossible. Right?

My thoughts:

This novel was one big surprise the whole way through. At first I thought it was going to turn out to be some sort of psychological thriller with the way the story was progressing but I was pretty wrong!

There was some psychology involved but Ultraviolet was ultimately more of a sci-fi, futuristic and paranormal all mixed together kind of thing.

I really liked this read for a lot of different reasons. It was the kind of novel where the author takes her time making whatever progress in the plot which didn't turn out to be a bad thing - it kept me guessing a whole lot

What I loved most about this read was definitely Alison. She was such a brilliantly written character who had an amazing amount of depth and such a great personality. She had flaws and admitted to them and she had strengths and acknowledged them - I really love characters like that, they really do make a story.

The supporting characters were great too but it did feel like compared to Alison there wasn't even focus on them to be developed enough for me to really adore them like I did Alison.

As for the plot, I found it to be really engrossing simply because of the fact that nothing seemed to be revealed until just the right moment. It was a really great read.

R J Anderson:

Goodreads|Website|Livejournal|Twitter|Facebook

Challenges this book counts towards:

  1. 100 Books In A Year
  2. New Author Challenge
  3. TBR Pile Reading Challenge

Happy reading everyone!


No comments: