Monday 6 February 2012

Review: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You

Title: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You
Author: Ally Carter
Series: Gallagher Girls #1
Publisher: Orchard
Publication date: April 25th 2006
Source:
Bought
My Rating: 6/10

Summary:

Gallagher Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses - but it's really a school for spies. Cammie Morgan is fluent in fourteen languages and capable of killing a man in seven different ways (three of which involve a piece of uncooked spaghetti). But the one thing the Gallagher Academy hasn't prepared her for is what to do when she falls for an ordinary boy who thinks she's an ordinary girl.

Sure, she can tap his phone, hack into his computer, and track him through a mall without his ever being the wiser, but can Cammie have a normal relationship with a boy who can never know the truth about her?

My thoughts:

This book was a nice introduction to the world of the Gallagher girls. Far from normal, these girls attend a school for geniuses training to become spies. Of course, they're still high school age so get up to all sorts of mischief just in a slightly different manner!

I liked the plot of this book. It was simple but really fun to read about. I was on edge at times thinking characters were going to get caught and then if they did I was anticipating what was going to happen to them.

It's definitely a fun read but the problem for me was that the writing didn't stick with me. I was a little put off by it for some reason and at times I felt like I was missing key details. I started to think it was me reading to fast so I would keep going back to read parts again to find that I hadn't missed anything.

I really feel that this author has a very particular writing style that some people will really love and some people will just find okay. Make no mistake, it wasn't bad writing, it just wasn't suited to my likings.

What I loved most about this book was how the characters interacted. It was made clear from the start that the Gallagher girls might as well be sisters and they are to be treated as such by each other. They're all growing up in the same environment totally different to normal teenagers their age so technically the only people they can depend on is each other. I loved that. It was such a strong aspect of the book and it shone through each and every character and still managed to accentuate how different each one of them was.

Overall, this read was alright for me but some will enjoy it more. I definitely do want to have another shot at the second book in the series and see if it gets any better!

Books in the series:

  • I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You
  • Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy
  • Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover
  • Only the Good Spy Young
  • Out of Site, Out of Time

Challenges this counts towards:

  1. 100 Books In A Year
  2. New Author Challenge
  3. TBR Pile Challenge
  4. Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge

Happy reading everyone!


No comments: