Thursday 19 January 2012

Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication date: 29th September 2011
Hardback: 418 pages
Extract|Video
Book source: Bought
My rating: 10/10

Summary:

Errand requiring immediate attention. Come.

The note was on vellum, pierced by the talons of the almost-crow that delivered it. Karou read the message. 'He never says please', she sighed, but she gathered up her things. When Brimstone called, she always came.

In general, Karou has managed to keep her two lives in balance. On the one hand, she's a seventeen-year-old student in Prague; on the other, errand-girl to a monstrous creature who is the closest thing she has to family. Raised half in our world, half in 'Elsewhere', she has never understood Brimstone's dark work - buying teeth from hunters and murderers - nor how she came into his keeping. She is a secret even to herself, plagued by the sensation that she isn't whole.

Now the doors to the Elsewhere are closing, and Karou must choose between the safety of her human life and the dangers of a war-ravaged world that may hold the answers she has always sought.

My thoughts:

Wow. Where do I start. Well if you haven't noticed the rating already, I absolutely adored this book. I actually had to sit and think for a while before writing the review I was that impressed by it.

First off I have to mention the cover. I bought the UK version of the hardback which I have to say looks absolutely stunning and the back has this metallic sheen to it that I adore.

Now. The book. How can I even describe it's amazingness?!

The imagination that went into this book is breathtaking. There are different characters that are different species (for lack of a better word) to each other. Some of them have wings, some of them have horns and some have hooves for feet. Every time I would read about another character I could imagine what they look like and play what was happening like a film the writing was just that descriptive. The worlds that the book was set in felt like so much thought was put into it, it could actually be real. Reading this book felt like an escape from real life. It was pure brilliance.

Let's talk about characters. Karou. Oh my God she was so cool. Akiva - can anyone say hot stuff? Seriously though,they were contrasting characters that had so much depth to them I really wanted to figure them out from top to bottom. I loved reading their story.

Brimstone. What can I say? At first I was a bit put off by his personality filled with grunting and stern looks but I loved him after a few chapters. I actually couldn't figure out his intentions until they were revealed at the end which was great. Aaaaaand I won't say anymore than that on Brimstone for fear of spoilers!

As for the plot it just exuded brilliance. I've never read anything more original and intriguing. Again I don't want to spoil anything but trust me when I say the plot is by far the best I've ever read in a book so far.

Overall I think you can guess that I would recommend this one to anybody who likes to read. It sure is a great use of time and - despite the number of pages - is a really fast read.


Laini Taylor:
Goodreads|Blog

Great quotes:

“She had been innocent once, a little girl playing with feathers on the floor of a devil's lair. She wasn't innocent now, but she didn't know what to do about it. This was her life: magic and shame and secrets and teeth and a deep, nagging hollow at the center of herself where something was most certainly missing.”


Challenges this book counts towards:

  1. 100 Books In A Year
  2. New Author Challenge 2012
  3. Speculative Romance Challenge 2012
  4. 2012 TBR Pile Reading Challenge
  5. 2012 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge
  6. Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge
Happy reading everyone!


No comments: