Monday 24 October 2011

Review: Soul Beach

Title: Soul Beach

Author: Kate Harrison

Publisher: Orion Books

Publication date: September 2011

Paperback: 272 pages

Young Adult

Source: UK Book Tours

Extract

My rating: 9/10

Summary:

When Alice Forster receives an email from her dead sister she assumes it must be a sick practical joke. Then an invitation arrives to the virtual world of Soul Beach, an idyllic online paradise of sun, sea and sand where Alice can finally talk to her sister again - and discover a new world of friendships, secrets and maybe even love . . . . But why is Soul Beach only inhabited by the young, the beautiful and the dead? Who really murdered Megan Forster? And could Alice be next? The first book in an intriguing and compelling trilogy centred around the mystery of Megan Forster's death.

My thoughts:

This book absolutely fascinated me. It was just so unexpected I was sucked right into it and loved ever second.

Alice was a great character who had recently lost her big sister. At first she thought the emails sent inviting her to Soul Beach was a sick joke until she found it was a place she could talk to her sister again. Weird right? It gets better. This Soul Beach is supposed to be this virtual world where only some dead people go and yet Alice can hear the sea calling and the feel of the sand tempting her to open her laptop up and fall into this other world once more.

I felt like Soul Beach was an introduction into the trilogy it's set to be, which I normally don't like because sometimes it results in the book having no real depth to it. Not in this case though. I was literally captivated with the characters both dead and alive.

The ending really shocked me and the next book really could go anywhere from the way Soul Beach was wrapped up, which was....not at all. The ending was left wide open which shocked me a bit.

I can't really say much more without risk of ruining the story but I do strongly recommend this one.

Kate Harrison:

Goodreads|Website|Twitter


1 comment:

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I'm so curious about this book, it just sounds like a story I will love. Really looking forward to it, great review!