Monday 6 May 2013

Review: Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan

16008056

Title: Darkness Falls

Author: Cate Tiernan

Series: Immortal Beloved #2

Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton

Publication date: 13th Sep 2012

Format: Paperback - 416 pages

Genre: YA | Fantasy

Goodreads



Just a few weeks ago, I'd seen a tiny crack of sunny promise splitting through the dark tarmac of my soul. I'd seen progress - I really had. What had happened? Everything felt ruined now. I'd faced so much - my heritage, my past, my emptiness.


I had faced it all and for what?


Nastasya has lived for more than four-hundred years, but nothing seems to get any easier. Desire, death and heart-breaking truths are revealed in book two of this compulsively addictive trilogy.


When you're born immortal, can you ever outlive your past?



My thoughts:


I can't believe I took this long to get back into this series. I came across the first book, Immortal Beloved, in my cupboard and immediately felt like rereading it. So, that brings me to the second book in the series which I have just read for the first time and absolutely fell in love with it. I fell in love with the characters and the series all over again and managed to read both the first book and second in a day.


I couldn't get enough of this book. In my opinion, the only downside is it wasn't long enough. What drew me in straight away - as well as in the first book - was Nastasya's personality. She's such a well rounded character with flaws up to her eyeballs - even though she's over 400 years old she's still relatable. She still makes mistakes even with all her experiences and she owns up to them. She doubts herself and she finds it hard to trust those around her. In other words, she's not perfect, just like the rest of us. Nastasya has to be one of my all time favourite characters - she may be incredibly stubborn and silly sometimes but boy does she make me laugh. This book definitely has its fair share of one liners from Nasty that will make you chuckle.


The plot of Darkness Falls is basically carrying on from the end of the first book. It's all about Incy with just a hint of something more coming. I enjoyed it immensely - it was different to the first book in that it got really dark at times. Incy got downright creepy towards the end to the point that he made me shudder a little bit. It definitely got you turning the pages.


The rest of the characters were just as amazing. Especially Reyn, which I'm guessing everybody knew I would eventually start gushing about him. Reyn is a GORGEOUS character. He's so complex and mysterious - I really can't wait to get to know him more in the last book. All of the characters in this series have a lot of depth - you don't find out everything about them so it intrigues you and makes you wonder. They all act the way they do for a reason.


Overall this book is definitely one I'm adding to the favourites pile. If you haven't started this series I would strongly recommend you do because you won't regret it.


My rating: 10/10



Cate Tiernan:

Website | Blog | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

No comments: