Monday 21 January 2013

Review: Undeadly by Michele Vail

12394032

Title: Undeadly

Author: Michele Vail

Series: The Reaper Diaries #1

Publisher: Harlequin Teen

Publication date: Dec 2012

Format: Paperback - 272 pages

Genre: YA - Paranormal | Mythology

Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries, #1)

 

 

Molly Bartolucci wants to blend in, date hottie Rick and keep her zombie-raising abilities on the down-low. Then the god Anubis chooses her to become a reaper - and she accidentally undoes the work of another reaper, Rath. Within days, she's shipped off to the Nekyia Academy, an elite boarding school that trains the best necromancers in the world. And her personal reaping tutor? Rath.


Life at Nekyia has its pluses. Molly has her own personal ghoul, for one. Rick follows her there out of the blue, for another…except, there's something a little off about him. When students at the academy start to die and Rath disappears, Molly starts to wonder if anything is as it seems. Only one thing is certain - Molly's got an undeadly knack for finding trouble...



My thoughts:


This is going to be a difficult review for me to write since I have no clue how I feel about this book.


One thing I get so disappointed about in books is when I don't get on with the main character. From the beginning Molly came across as a strong and wilful character but she also came across as a right brat sometimes. I seriously found her so annoying at some points in the book that I really wanted to scream. It took all of my attention away from what was happening throughout the story - I felt like I couldn't appreciate the mythological side to the book or what was happening. 


What I really find frustrating is the fact that I think this series has so much potential. I really loved the mythology that played a part in the plot. I've never read anything based on the ancient egyptians before and as soon as it came into play, I started to really enjoy it. I also really liked some of the other, supporting characters. Rath came across as incredibly mysterious and I really want to read more of him. I'm definitely intrigued with that side of the story. 


I did, however, find the plot somewhat lacking some substance. There wasn't really anything leading up to any of the big events in the read - when something big did happen there wasn't enough suspense. Nothing came of any surprise because of that so I quickly lost interest. 


I can't really decide if I want to try my hand at the next book. On the one hand, I really want to find out what happens but on the other, Molly will have to grow up a whole lot for me to carry on. 

 

My rating: 5/10

 

Michele Vail:

Goodreads | Website | Facebook | Twitter

 

The Reaper Diaries:

  1. Undeadly
  2. Unchosen

3 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

Great review, I initially fell in love with the cover and was so excited when I reviewed this, but I had problems both with the plot and the characters. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Candace said...

This is actually the same things I've read about this book in other reviews. I've decided it's not one I'm going to read but I'm sorry it was a bit disappointing for you!

LoveOfBooks said...

Aw, too bad you didn't care for this. I actually liked it a lot and thought Molly fit the roll of a young 16-year-old. Guess it's a hit or miss with some people.