Wednesday 8 April 2015

Review: Just Pru by Anne Pfeffer


23603092

Title: Just Pru

Author: Anne Pfeffer

Series: N/A

Publisher: Anne Pfeffer

Publication date: March 2nd 2015

Format: Kindle | Netgalley | 232 pages

Genre: New Adult | Contemporary

Goodreads



"My mother once joked that my dad had wanted to name me Obedience. As if Prudence wasn't bad enough. I was not a Prudence and I never would be."

When twenty-five-year-old Pru Anderson—braless, pajama-clad, and clutching her cat, Chuck—is rescued from her burning Los Angeles apartment, the thing that scares her most is meeting the neighbors. New people make her hide in the bathroom, counting by sevens, but when her home is destroyed, she must turn strangers into friends … or crawl back to the controlling parents she only recently escaped. 

What would her idol, Pepper Hathaway, do? That’s a no brainer: the detective-slash-supermodel heroine from Pru's favorite TV series would take no prisoners while looking fierce in a tankini and stilettos. So when the chance comes to live with her upstairs neighbor, Ellen, a playwright, Pru goes for it.

Thus begin the adventures of Pru, who's never had a job, a friend, or a first kiss. Swept into Ellen's whirlwind life, Pru begins to build her own, as director's assistant for a new play, muse to brooding actor Blake, and possible love interest to adorably neurotic neighbor, Adam. 

Only one thing can derail Pru's exhilarating ride. Well, actually, it's two things—and they're in a car headed straight for LA to torpedo her life. When the past that nearly destroyed her comes calling, who will she be: a Prudence or a Pepper?

 


My thoughts:


What a cute read!


I fell in love with Pru right away, I really did. She's too endearing not too. I just wanted to give her a big hug, pat her on the back and be all 'there,there'. Pru is the character who constantly messes up but has this running commentary that makes it so much more hilarious than it would be otherwise. I was chuckling to myself from the very beginning and mentally urging her on in the tougher situations like with her obsessive parents.


I also loved how both Pru and Adam were so obviously imperfect. Adam was in no way naive like Pru is but he was just as, if not more so neurotic. The mental health side of the read didn't really go into too much detail which was disappointing, but Pru suffers from depression and anxiety while Adam has OCD. They understood each other to the extent of Adam being able to calm Pru down and Pru finding Adam's horror towards any sort of bacteria 'cute'. 


This was a really quick, light and fluffy read that can get you through a bad day.


What I didn't like though, was how predictable it was. You sort of expect it with reads like this - where the book is more focused on humour and a light hearted sort of tone to the read. It's not going to be all roses and sweet things and then the ending is a real downer…it doesn't make sense right? But, more often than not, it means what is going to happen is evident from just a few chapters in. I mean, it was clear to me from the beginning - who was going to end up with who, what was going to happen with Pru's parents and a few other things. It's just a question of details, and the details are where you can actually enjoy the read. Obviously I would rather have just a small doubt in my mind as to what will eventually happen, but it doesn't happen much with reads like this and that annoys me. What's the point in reading if you already know what's going to happen?


Aside from that I still liked this read. To be honest, it was over too quickly for me to get really frustrated with any problems I had. I think it was a nice story to pick up just to waste a couple of hours and distract you from cleaning the house or something equally tedious. 


My rating: 6/10


Anne Pfeffer:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter

No comments: