Tuesday 11 March 2014

Review: The Rancher's Second Chance by Victoria James

20818809

Title: The Rancher’s Second Chance
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Author: Victoria James
Publisher: Entangled Indulgence
Language: English
Pages: 250
Format:
Ebook






Widowed rancher Cole Forrester is all about running his family’s ranch and guarding his heart. The last thing he’s looking for is love, but when his little sister can’t make it home to handle some of her wedding details, he’s forced to entertain the event planner, Melanie Simms. Melanie is everything he’s not even remotely interested in: she’s high-society, complicated, and high maintenance. But when he’s stranded with her at his remote cabin in the Colorado mountains, he realises he’s seriously underestimated her. She’s hiding something about her past from him, but despite everything, he finds himself falling for the last woman he ever expected, and the first woman to make him want to give his heart and risk everything…



 

AMAZONBARNES & NOBLE

 





My thoughts:



When wedding planner Melanie Simms is forced to organise her best friend Corri's big day without her, she finds herself getting to know Corri's brother Cole. Melanie quickly goes from seeing Cole as a cold hearted cowboy to a man afraid to love again after his wife died. Things quickly get a little complicated when Melanie is forced to deal with her past that she had worked to keep hidden from everybody but herself. 



What I liked most about this read was Cole. I think a lot of readers will be the same after finishing this for obvious reasons, but I loved how open Cole's thoughts were in his narration. He lay out all of his problems in his head and sorted through them one by one and that made him incredibly relatable in my eyes. I adored knowing what he was thinking when he was thinking it.



The only problem I had with this book was how fast Cole came to the conclusion that he wanted to have a relationship with Mel. There was no process and I'm not a fan of the whole instalove kind of thing. While this wasn't the case of the two characters see each other and instantly fall head over heels, it was still a little too fast for my liking. 



The plot was pretty sweet. The two main characters each had their own problems to deal with and emotions to overcome. They were both being held back by something and they both needed encouragement from family and close friends to get past all the obstacles they were facing. I really liked how that happened towards the end. They both happened to be in the right environment to come to the realisation that they're being held back from living life to the fullest for no real reason.



Overall I thought this was a nice read. It was incredibly quick to get through and I finished it hoping for another book about a couple of the characters featured in the story. I really want to know what happens between them.



My rating: 4/5




 

ABOUT VICTORIA JAMES

 

 

 

I always knew I wanted to be a writer and in grade five, I penned my first story, bound it (with staples) and a cardboard cover and did all the illustrations myself (if you’ve ever seen my drawings you’ll know how horrible they must have been. I still draw stick figures). Luckily, this book will never see the light of day again.

 

In high school I fell in love with historical romance and then contemporary romance. After graduating University with an English Literature degree, I married my own hero, pursued a degree in Interior Design and then opened my own business.

 

 

After the birth of our first child, I knew it was time to fulfill the dream of writing romantic fiction. I’m a hopeless romantic who is living my dream, penning happily-ever-after’s for my characters in between managing kids and the family business. Writing on a laptop in the middle of the country in a rambling old Victorian house would be ideal, but I’m quite content living in suburbia with my husband, our two young children, and very bad cat.

 

 

 

TWITTER *FACEBOOKWEBSITE

 



No comments: