Friday 16 July 2010

Sisters Red Review

Sisters RedAmazon summary:

The story of Scarlett and March, two highly-skilled sisters who have been hunting Fenris (werewolves) - who prey on teen girls - since Scarlett lost her eye years ago while defending Rosie in an attack. Scarlett lives to destroy the Fenris, and she and Rosie lure them in with red cloaks (a colour the wolves can't resist), though Rosie hunts more out of debt to her sister than drive.

But things seem to be changing. The wolves are getting stronger and harder to fight, and there has been a rash of news reports about countless teenage girls being brutally murdered in the city. Scarlett and Rosie soon discover the truth.

Meanwhile Rosie finds herself drawn to Silas and the bond they share not only drives the sisters apart, but could destroy all they've worked for.




Apart from the great summary, what attracted me to Sisters Red was initially the cover. Everyone knows not to 'judge a book by it's cover' but I just couldn't help myself. I mean, look at it; I'd be amazed if not one person in my local Waterstones didn't glance at it as they walked by. I love the bold colours and the haunting red eyes, but what's also great about it is what it represents. After reading the book I realised that there is a deeper meaning to the cover (or maybe I just read into things too much).

I have to say, this was the best werewolf-based story I've read in a while. The fact that the werewolves in the book were portrayed as bloodthirsty beasts with no souls - right until the end - re-awakened my dormant love of werewolf fiction.

Sisters Red is loosely based on the well-known fairytale 'Little Red Riding Hood' with a slightly darker, gothic touch to it. It's completely devoid of damsels-in-distress but rather filled with characters that can take care of themselves to say the least. What readers get is an action-packed, unputdownable story that - for the most part - keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Speaking of which, one thing that really got me on the edge of my seat, and at times tears in my eyes, were the relationships between the protagonists of the story. Scarlett and Rosie have an incomparable bond which is made known throughout the story in the most perfect of ways.
The love between Scarlett, Rosie and most times Silas is absolutely breathtaking. It's what makes Sisters Red one of those memorable reads.

Having said all that, at times the fight scenes become just a tad repetitive. After the trio of hunters move to the city to take advantage of the increasing number of Fenris (werewolves) residing there, more and more similar fight scenes occur, making the story drag a little bit.

Nevertheless, the last third of the book more than made up for it with a sneaky plot-twist and a really clever and wonderful ending. (Seriously, the ending nearly made me cry).

My Rating: 8/10                                            



2 comments:

Ashley said...

This one sounds great! I have yet to read it, but your review was fabulous. I love a good twist near the end - unpredictable books are the best.

♫♥✿Chas @ LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ said...

I have this one on hold at the library- I def want to read it and more so now!=)